Monday, April 25, 2011

NEW! SSM VIRTUAL BOOK CLUB

On April 9th, I received the following e-mail from Sarah W., an adoptive mama:


Dear Seoul Searching Mama,


I discovered your blog tonight, and your posts have me laughing and in tears. I’m an adoptive mama of a three year old ray of sunshine born in Taiwan.

I am writing as I have a book suggestion for you. I am a fan of Mei-Ling Hopgood’s book Lucky Girl. Mei-Ling is a journalist and Taiwanese American adoptee. She wrote a memoir of her reunion with her Taiwanese family. If you haven’t already read it, I’d encourage you to check it out. Here’s a link to a youtube video trailer for her book: http://youtu.be/wzuqKAGkz6g In her Taiwanese family, Mei-Ling also has several older sisters, a younger brother, and a younger sister that was also relinquished for international adoption. In her adoptive family, Mei-Ling also has two brothers that are Korean American adoptees.


Sarah
On April 11th, Sarah writes:

"I feel so strongly about this book Lucky Girl that I would love to send it to you."


I just received a brand new copy of this book, "Lucky Girl" from the ever so thoughtful Sarah!

Thank you Sarah W. for your generosity!

*****
Sarah's recommendation has inspired me to implement a virtual book club here on Seoul Searching Mama! The books that we will read will be primarily about adoption. Do you have a favorite adoption read? Maybe about reunion, a birth mother or adoptee... please share your recommendations!

To begin the SSM Virtual Book Club, I would like to invite any and all of you to join me in reading "Lucky Girl" by Mei-Ling Hopgood.

The time frame will vary depending on the length of read but the general outline will consist of starting a new book the first of every month and discussing them the last week of the month. This will allow everyone 3-4 weeks to complete each book.

Not convinced? Check out the author's website!

To purchase "Lucky Girl" online, click here or here.

Ready, set... read!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment for Seoul Searching Mama!

Leave a comment for Seoul Searching Mama on Facebook!